Wednesday, July 10, 2013

How to Photograph New Landscape Locations...



Learning how to photograph landscapes www.jansenphotoexpeditions.com You arrive at a new location; you have all the books, and have done all the Internet research and Google Earthed the location extensively. You feel you're ready to go!

But its not exactly what you thought it was. The fact is, with all the technology on tap 24/7, all the books and internet research, our planet is a dynamic and constantly changing place.  You also needs boots on the ground and any information from locals you can get. I have contacts in many locations I visit and from local Landscape photographers I team up with on extended trips, in addition to  Botanist and Geologists I've known for years. They might have some inside information I can use on a upcoming flower bloom location or newly discovered natural formation.


Once get to a location, I find it's best to take my time,  rather than run to that iconic spot with the crowd. If I'm staying near a prime location, and I have enough time before that perfect light. I'll leave my main camera gear in my truck or camper and do a little pre-shoot scouting in the less than optimal midday light.

 I'll bring my smart phone along to shoot some compositional studies and work out a few compositions before hand. I’ll also seek good sunrise or sunset angles using a special Smart phone Ephemeris App that help with this. I'll look for interesting structure, textures and formations.  I'll search out for water in all forms. Flowing and dry passageways of older flows,  from the smallest trickle to larger stream beds. I'll make note of any unusual trees or fallen wood or stones scattered about. Things I can work into my compositions.

Once I have the area pretty well mapped out my mind, I'll go back to my camper or hotel room and sort through the gear I'll need. I'll then head back out later when the sweet light appears with my larger camera gear and tripod.  Doing these steps first frees me to move quickly and actively outdoors and frees me to explore more completely and  creatively. I'll also have a few extra angles ready to go in my back pocket if that iconic spot is a little overrun with others. Try it sometime you'll notice more and perhaps capture something unseen by others. Learn more at:  
www.jansenphotoexpeditions.com

                                                                                                                   By Mark Jansen                                                                                                                      

www.markjansenphotography.com


No comments: